
The sun was low and creamy and the tree shadows so slender and blue. The trees whispered clan destines of nature and this autumn twilight had a fairy like loveliness. Somewhere near by there was a drowsy twittering, as of little, sleepy birds swinging on a shadowy bough. The clouds were congregating and I decided to spend some time at the window. As I gaped into the sky, one cloud looked unerringly like an angel flying along the pale shining sky and carrying a baby in its arms. There was a filmy blue veil over it’s head with a faint glow. Its wings were tipped with gold and its white robe flexed with crimson… It was so gorgeous that it gave rise to a wonder moment, but these clouds are so capricious that, seconds later it had changed into something that looked like a camel with an exaggerated hump!!
My eyes lowered to the nastarium bed near by, they too were such magnificent things… They seemed as though they were fashioned over seasonal sunsets. The place was full of aroma in the sun stepped ferns and grassy, open spaces where the pale asters’ feathers the grass, swaying gently towards each other. Twilight began to make it’s visit.
When the wind blew just to the left of my window, I noticed the tall, old firs, waving, like a group of witches weaving spells of sorcery.
How I loved sitting every evening in the gentle air that dallied along. But the evening was different. A sudden spell of rain, slashed against the window pane and I could do nothing but stare into the intimidating obscurity.
That night was a series of stinging showers at intervals. Totally unpredictable. Between them, the world was raw, damp and cold. Moaning gusts of wind came in ominous sighing squalls. It had been a hot, dusty day, with soaring temperatures and scorching sunlight, but this change…
Hmm, so basically, I guess my friend, the rain, wanted to pay me a visit and consult me on some areas of universal approach. I had always had strong ties with this natural element. And I loved feeling the rain, like most others. That was one sensation, I loved. Each time my mother caught me drenched or about to be, she would give me a cat like ogle and nod her head and say, “Child, you are growing up!! You are going to catch a cold sooner or later and spread it around, it’s contagious”.
But… this shower was a blessing! I didn’t want her to stop me from having fun, cold or not. Carefully observing that her back was turned on me, I quietly began to step out of the house, before I crashed face down, tripping on my brother’s toy truck. Cursing myself for now being careful, and hoping it wouldn’t be bleeding, I unlocked the door to welcome my friend… The rain.
The first drop of rain fell on my nose. I extended my palms like in all those movies, But it really was accompanied by a good feel. As though a firm handshake, my hand shook to the rhythm of the wind and it was strewn with drops of rain.
A chill shiver ran down my spine but warmth of meeting my friend, at a rather, unexpected time, filled me with joy. And THAT was an ode to my happiness.
I let my hair down and braved to step out. As though with joy, my acquaintance, the rain woman reacted by cascading violet flowers that had bloomed in the spring. It may appear eccentric, but I talked to it for a while, in ominous whispers – secrets, dreams and fears.
The wind woman always lived on the edge of fairyland. Don’t know why, but she whistled eerily, amidst the diabolical chuckles of nature. I frisked about. It almost sounded like the foot steps of the old Gods echoing in the darkness.
The fir trees whispered and the thick white fog was descending. A cool air current lifted the mist curtain and loomed phantom like around me. The phase of fog was wonderful. It just seemed as if I was voyaging over the planet’s rim into the depth of space. Everything was beautiful – It was a moment of bliss. The eye was not satisfied with seeing nor the ear with hearing.
Having washed my soul free from the momentary bitterness I seemed to have been facing, in the aerial bath of the summer night and tingling from head to foot with the wild, strange, sweet life of the spirit. I turned to go back home…
I was astounded to see my mother standing at the door, with a palm cupped over her mouth and another resting on her hip, as though to say… “Girl…..”
It was a very unpleasant after effect. I must have looked a bit wild soaking wet throughout, with purple flowers in my hair!!
The dream and glamour of the rain had magnetizing effects on me. I didn’t speak a word. I just entered my house, ran up to my room, pushed the drapes aside and in the taper light whispered, “Come back another day, I really wanna play.” Even if it wasn’t instantaneously, the drizzle stopped after a while. Desiccating myself, I settled beneath the blanket… “A…a…achoooooooo!!” “Excuse me...” I sneezed involuntarily.
As customary, my nose had turned red and shiny, reminding me of Rudolph the red nosed reindeer.
Perhaps I’d slept wondering about my nose, I woke up to another mildly sunny morning. Pushing the sheets off, I ran to the open casement. There was a little pearly puddle of water. Through the trees that fringed it, faint hues of rose and saffron from the East stole across it. It was unruffled by a breath and every leaf and branch fern and blade of grass was mirrored in it. I looked in, and saw my face and by an odd twist of reflection from a binding bough I seemed to wear a leafy garland on my head – much like a laurel crown!
I couldn’t be a princess, but when my mother called in, I knew, I’d always be hers.
She had at last come out of the rainy affair quite as triumphantly as she should have.
With a million dollar smile, I slid down the stairs to a new day, a new start…
“Coming mom….”
1 comment:
'twAZ another enchanting story sne!! nice flow and twas like journey thru thse fairylands!! nice one!! :)
Post a Comment