Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Another sea story


I was there just for a day. We had spent most of our time driving around the carefully planned perpendicular streets, trying to find a good place to stay. Streets with French names, Stately villas of colonial style in the French quarters, the language – Puducherry, so fancy.

Although dinner at The Promenade was an option, none of us took it quite seriously considering our tight purse strings; instead we chose a French home turned restaurant named ‘Rendezvous.’ I pondered over the menu until the waiter gave me a stern look. I quickly chose a quiche Lorraine stuffed with spinach, cream cheese and chicken and Crème Brule for dessert. I was set. The portions were tiny and delicious. While some of my friends ordered Poulet frites (chicken and fries), most others chose a thin crusted, barely there pizza. How the French would frown upon it!

What I was looking forward to was the Serenity. It was dark and late as we stood by the rocks strewn across the sea front. The waves collided with the boulders with all their might and quickly fell, retreating with white, pearly foam. It seemed like the tides were furious but it was only just the moon, trying to lure them towards him. But they still rose and fell in one fluid motion like a string let be in mid-air. And then, it simply poured. So impromptu. Not a sight of a purple split in the sky, revealing the depth of the heavens, no sound of the deep roar. It was all a blur. Such an experience makes me ponder. There are ups and then there are downs and like the rain, they come unannounced. The lessons we can take away that add a gentle touch of meaning to our own lives…
As I walked away, nothing could be seen but the mass of wet rocks, a strip of surf and the drops of rain curdling the sea, adding to its volume in circles of foam.
They tried to look tough and I smiled. They were just like me.






No comments: